Friday, October 17, 2008

The Storm


I know its exactly a week since I have blogged and as usual I will attempt to explain why. I just couldnt pull myself together to do it; I had all kinds of fiery emotions competing for my attention and I had to slow down and deal with them.

Its been a rather interesting period for me; the activist part of me has taken deep root courtesy the injustice my colleagues and I have suffered in the hands of the "powers that be". I have never been part of a strike but this week, I felt i was ready to down my tools to grab somebody's attention. I had had it and I knew that if I didnt vent the anger that was building inside of me, I was just going to walk out for good.

You are probably wondering what really happened,well, I will summarise it in one word; money. There is nothing so disheartening like working for somebody who doesnt necessarily understand the intricacies of the work we do. There is nothing as disgusting as seeing the money you work for, being diverted to purposes, other than it was planned for.

I told my boss that I couldnt continue living on hope because I have bills to pay. I told him that my contract doesnt stipulate that Im a volunteer but it states that I will be paid a certain amount of money for the services I render and that as it is, the company owes me and I dont owe them anything.

I hadnt been this angry in a long time but I had to speak up. I told him that Im going to walk out one day and I will never return and I wouldnt be the only one who would do it, others would follow suit.

There is a problem with human resource management in most of the local companies here, with a lot of employers just simply ignoring the needs of their employees. Of course, I would understand a situation, where there isnt enough money, but when its there, and only a few individuals are benefiting, then there is a problem. Thats why most of these companies, never reach their full potential. You cant oppress the very people who are helping you build a company and expect super profits; it just wont happen.

Well, enough of my ranting; all I can say at this point in time is that "this too shall pass". Its a season and as each day goes by, its drawing closer to an end. There are lessons for me to learn and I must know what they are before I can get to the next level. I know God allows storms in our lives to build us and not destroy us. Its a painful process but I know someday I will look back and be grateful I went through it.

Till then....have a great day!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...I'm glad to see the spirit of Mandela has not waned.

Dont worry. Just like you told me...God will see you through.