Sunday, September 28, 2008

Wisdom


They used to say that the older you are, the wiser you become, but I dont think this statement holds true for everybody.

This week, I met Michael Holmes, a young man with lots of wisdom and insight. He actually helped me realize that there is a lot more you can get from the Bible than you actually think. Check out his blog on http://ishallraisetheeup.blogspot.com and you will get a lot more than you bargained for.

I realized that if you want a lot of things to change in your life, you have to start by looking on the inside. You have to realize that you ain't Superman or Superwoman but simply a human being who will wither away like the grass tomorrow. Im a very independent minded person and I love being self sufficient. I hate being dependent on others and the problem with that is that I end up being independent of God too and you know where you end up...............on the other side...looool....hardly a pleasant place to be.

So how do you grow on the inside? Its simple, all you have to do is develop a relationship with the one who created you. I'm not talking about going to church, I'm talking about spending quality time with Him. Talk to Him like the way you would talk to an old friend.

When I first came to Nigeria, life was so hard. I lived in Lagos for two years. I was so lonely that I thought I was going to lose it. I had very few friends; everybody else just seemed too busy to build a relationship. I ended up with a couple of people I shouldn't have even met in the first place and I know what that got me.....a broken and bitter heart.

I wanted to give up on Him and give up on my purpose for being in Nigeria; I remember telling God one day that I hated Him! After I said that, I cried and I repented and He forgave me. He comforted me during those nights....I felt His presence so strong. At times I would just tell Him that I needed somebody to hold me...lool...I wasnt short of offers but I knew it wouldnt be worth it so I had to look to Him even for that.

God does care about every aspect of our lives; He knows every detail but we need to allow Him to take charge. We need to trust Him enough to lead us the way we should go.

I am learning to do that and its a wonderful experience....it helps reduce a lot of stress when somebody else is lifting your burdens....loool. This post is already long...I could go on and on but its time for lunch!!!

Gotta go!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out and the transparency in the blog. Very truthful. Very real. People need to hear that.

Florence Kayemba said...

Thank you Michael, for giving me the courage to be naked and unashamed!! Looooooool....sounds familiar...huh? Well its the title of a book by Bishop T.D. Jakes; just needed to expantiate on that before y'all jump to conclusions!! Loool..