Tuesday, August 19, 2008

To be skinny or not to be?




Well recently, I was accused of being obamarised and therefore advised to be exorcised....lol. I wonder if the person was just jealous of the kind of attention I was giving to Obama...I really wonder....lol. Well, I found an interesting article on BET.com that reminded me of the 2001 presidential elections in Uganda which had two really strong candidates; Yoweri Museveni and Kizza Besigye. A lot of people felt the latter's appearance did him a diservice; they thought the whole blue-black-brown complexion was an indication that he had a terminal disease..does he? I have no idea, Im not his doctor.

Anyways, BET came out with an interesting article titled " Is Obama to skinny to be President?" An interesting read I must say...here goes:

"This question comes from the notion that most Americans of voting age are overweight - some 66 percent of the electorate in fact would be considered overweight; another 32 percent are obese, by most health measures. And to be string-bean thin, like Obama, is considered “different.” In fact, one “unnamed [Hillary] Clinton supporter” actually wrote on a Yahoo political message board: “I won’t vote for any beanpole guy.”


"But is this “difference” really enough of a reason to say that the thin candidate can’t relate to our issues? OR, is this yet another smokescreen that people are using to hide their true feelings - that they would never vote to elect a Black president? Sounds like a smokescreen to me. I’m no beanpole, but certainly Obama’s weight - or lack thereof - won’t matter to me when I get in the voting booth. Isn’t it a bit shallow to make a presidential choice that way? Shouldn’t it matter more to that Hillary supporter that there’s someone in the White House who supports women’s rights, equal opportunities for women and the right of everyone to have health care and get an education - regardless of his or her weight? Shouldn’t it matter more that one is able to relate to a candidate based on what he says he’ll do and how he’s voted in the past, instead of whether he’s skinny or fat?"

Frankly I dont know if a Presidential candidate's wieght is a factor in determining whether he or she could make a good president...but I believe it can be a turn off if you are obese. I believe the President is the number PR person of a country. That means his appearance counts..but whats the point in having a Denzel Washington or Matthew Fox look alike if they cant deliver! I wonder what you think...

No comments: